Sunday, October 27, 2013

Milestone #1 Met!!!!!!!

"The person who starts the race is not the same person who finishes the race"



On June 4th of this year I set a major goal of completing an Ironman distance triathlon before I am 50 years old in my bid to become a healthier husband and dad.  I also developed a plan with lots of intermediate goals to get there.  Yesterday I met my first Goal on the list!!! I completed the Tulsa Run 5K.


Crossing the finish line with my little sis!  Thanks for pushing me!

My plan going into the race was to jog the first 15 minutes then walk 2 mins and run 5 mins to the last kilometer then jog the rest of the way in, finishing in less than 50 minutes.  

I ran the first 16 minutes then maintained the 2/5 pattern, but the long hill at the end got me and we followed a  2/3 pattern from 3.5 kilometers to 4.5 kilometers.  We did pick it up the last 3 blocks finishing with and official time of 49:56.  My Runkeeper app had us finishing in 49:38 and we stopped for 20 or 30 seconds to take a rock out of my shoe.  When I finished I could stop smiling!  I was changed.  I am ready to train harder for the next 5k and see how much I can improve.  This race was the first time I finished in a sub 16 min/mi pace.  I will attempt to break 15 minute/mi pace in my next race.  

This weekend was a great ending to a great busy week.  I got a lot of swimming in as well despite the busy schedule.  I failed to weigh in this week, but I feel great.  


I will be adding the quote above and the following to my truck window this week!

Here is my week:

3 comments:

  1. I choked up reading this update, Brian. KEEP GOING. You are such an inspiration. So glad you had a great experience in your first race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on crushing this goal! :)

    ReplyDelete