Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The Big Goal

Today I set a goal on my way to the gym.  I will swim one mile.  I had never swam a mile before, been close a few times, but never did it.  Today, I swam a mile.  While I swam I reflected on my life for the last seven years.  The last seven years have been tough.  Four job changes, racking up debt from a failed business, and just being a husband and dad.  Through this stressful time I had the unwavering support of my beautiful wife.  Without her I don't think I could have made it. No, I know I would not have made it, but I didn't come out unscathed.  I gained a lot of weight.  What can I say, I'm a stress eater and I had a lot of stress to eat.


Earlier this year the State of Oklahoma teacher's insurance program started a pilot program to greatly reduce the cost of Weight Loss surgery.  I immediately contacted the doctor and got an appointment to talk.  While going through the preliminary appointments with the Exercise Guy and the Food Girl and the Mind Lady a have lost almost 40 lbs in six months.  I have a new sense of self.  I am a teacher. I am happy being a teacher.  I am good at being a teacher.  I have spent the last seven years trying to be something else for someone else.  From the Exercise Guy I learned I know what to do.  I just need to do it.  From the Food Girl I learned how to eat better and less and still enjoy food and that the post surgery diet and possible complications scare me, and from the Mind Lady I learned to not let doctors and staff bully me into a decision and I have got to make decision that work for me.  I truly believe my weight gain was a lack of direction and self awareness.  I don't know if surgery is the answer for me.  I greatly respect individuals who have made this decision, but I may lose the ability to check off one of my bucket list items if I do weight loss surgery.  I believe surgery would make it too difficult to train for this goal, but I think this goal will require a similar lifestyle change with less of a chance for the scary complications.

I have said several times, I will train for the Willow Creek Triathlon in Enid.  I have never done it.   So my first Intermediate goal is to complete this Triathlon in 2014.  I have set so many goals and not finished them. So in an attempt to avoid surgery. I am making a very large long term goal.  This blog will be the story of my journey to reach this goal.  I hope you will help and encourage me along the way.  It started with reflecting in the pool today and reaching a small goal I randomly set for myself.  I will be setting lots of goals a hopefully celebrating a lot of small victories within these post so please join me on my journey to the:





By the time I am 50 years old I will complete a full Ironman Triathlon!



11 comments:

  1. Good for you Brian! We're all behind you, with full support. And you are not alone, I don't want to do an Ironman, but I def. want to lose weight. I wish you the best of luck on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do it . Because you CAN!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the encouragement ladies!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the weight loss already! We support you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go for it! I must admit I teared up reading some parts of this. What you wrote could be words for many people in different aspects of their lives. The road to a goal is usually an uphill one, but if you're not alone in this journey then it helps you to be more determined to get to where you are going, and reaching that goal is all the more worthwhile. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy cow, Brian. I can't wait to follow and support this journey. You have the best attitude -- set a big goal, but know that you have to reach many, many smaller goals that will be in your path. You've got this. Go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I missed this somehow but this is AWESOME!! You're already a really great guy and I'm really impressed that you've thought through the pros and cons of which weight loss process is best for you. If... WHEN you make it to that Iron Man, we may have to roadtrip it down again and watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I missed this comment!! Just keep following the blog it will let you know. It will probably be in Idaho or Houston Area!

      Delete
  8. Okay, I came in on this conversation late. I am so happy for you Brian. I stress eat as well, and have packed it on over the last couple of years. I know you can do this and am praying to God I can too. My goal is a simple one, lose 50 lbs. so I can have more self-confidence in public. Holler at this grandma any time. Now, let me get back on my treadmill. I could only do two minutes when I started, I'm now up to three.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend sent me a meme that applies to us Barb. Here's the link.

      https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=292402744236570&set=a.160086060801573.50843.160085050801674&type=1&theater

      Delete