Sunday, January 12, 2014

Live More - Check in


url.jpg




Two things sparked contemplation on my part this week.  First, We watched Randy Pausch's "Last Lecture" in my 8th grade elective course and I got my new Triathlete Magazine.  For those who don't know Randy Pausch was a professor at Carnegie Mellon who was asked to present at the University's lecture series called The Last Lecture, where professors were to work on the premise "What would you say to your students if you new it would be your last lecture."  In Randy's case this premise hit a little closer to home.  Had just been given the news that he had Pancreatic cancer with a prognosis of 3 to 6 months to live.  In his "lecture" he discussed how he fulfilled his childhood dreams and the importance of helping others do the same as well as life lessons learned.  He said everyone should have fun, work to knock down or go around the walls in our life.  We should find mentors and support and tell the truth and be willing to hear it.  You have to decide. Will you be an Eeyore or will you be a Tigger.  I was struck by Randy's attitude for life, an attitude I once held and have let slip over the last few years.  On this journey, I am now coming closer and closer to returning to this attitude of living.  This attitude was distilled in the article of my Triathlete Magazine, where the editor was running an offroad race in Hawaii.  It was an Xterra race, where the series motto is "Live More!" This motto along with Randy's Lecture really got my wheels turning.  I have decided to be a Tigger!

So my New Years resolution is to Live More!  I will put down the cell phone and remote and be focused on my girls.  I will push my self harder in workouts to reach health goals more quickly and I will use food as fuel more than pleasure which will not only add years to my life, but life to my years.  I will Live More:  I will have More Fun!  I will have More Adventures!  I will have More Love!  I will Give More!  I will Try More!  And my sincere wish is that you will join me!

To that End I had a good week!

Lost: 1 pound  Total Down:  63 #
Swim:  2.3 miles
Walk:  4.3 miles
Total:  6.6 miles
Total Miles Journey: 358 miles






No comments:

Post a Comment