Thursday, July 4, 2013

Thanks You Mr. Lock and Mr. Jefferson



We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness

One of my most favorite subjects to teach is US History.  It fascinates me how the philosophies of John Locke and the documents created by our founding fathers have stood the test of time and how the struggles of so many years ago can still be being haggled over today.  We are still having an arguments over States Rights over 200 years later.   If just goes to show you we are NOT learning from our history well enough.  

When I teach the Declaration of Independence in my 8th grade US History classes.  I always start the lesson by finding the following letter on the floor in my class.  I always seem to find it on the floor between two girls and remind my class of my policy of reading "passed notes" to the class. Usually the students have already experience this at least once by the time we get to the Declaration.   I then start looking over the letter and tell them "It just may be a little too juice to share." and of course they beg and plead for this juice gossip.  I remind them that I did just find it, not sure it was actually "passed", but they really insist that I must reading it.  You know it is policy after all.  So I begin reading.  As I read, the wheels are turning.  Names of couples in the school are being tossed out everyone has there idea of who the author is.  And when I get to the end...


I'm not sure how to start is letter, but we need to talk.  I've been thinking about us a lot lately. Things use to be great.  It was like we were M.F.E.O.  I mean everyone said it was perfect.  I really thought we would be together forever, but then things changed.  

I feel like you started taking me for granted.  You just started doing whatever you wanted and never even asked me about anything or how I felt.

I've been thinking about this for a while now and I don't want to hurt you, but I think its time we broke up.  I mean it's just not going to work.  I need some time by myself to see what it's like on my own.  I'm sorry it didn't work out, but I do think you are the one to blame. Sorry, but US is over!

Sincerely,

The American Colonies

.... there is complete silence as it sinks in.  We then talk about how the Declaration of Independence is just the most famous "break up" letter of all time.  It's one of my favorite lessons of the year.  This also leads to a deeper study of John Locke's Natural Laws from which Mr. Jefferson drew frequently as he wrote our Declaration.  Most boldly proclaiming our unalienable right to pursue happiness.  

As I watch the happenings around the world most recently in Libya, Egypt and Syria just to name a few, I am thankful everyday that I live in a country where this tenant is being live out.  I know we are still a work in progress.  That many in our country are still have to fight for this right, but our Founding Fathers and Mr. Locke had it right.  Every person no matter who they are or what they believe has the right to pursue happiness. I am also thankful for the service men and women, past and present, who have or are putting themselves in harms way and work tirelessly throughout our world to make sure me and mine continue to have this right and to give this right to more and more people across our globe.

Happy Independence Day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment