Sunday, August 4, 2013

Weekly Check In Aug 3rd and Answering the Question: How are you losing weight?

Good Morning All! I have had a long couple of weeks.  For me school has started. Being a new teacher in my district I need to become familiar with the initiatives our district values in reaching our students in the 21st Century.  Therefore, I have had 8 days of training in the last ten "work days".  In addition to this I have been working to prepare my classroom, which involved a move of classrooms as well, but no complaints there.  I came out much better after the move!  I feel like I need to put goals up at each end of my new room and bring a whistle with me to class.  My new room, it's huge I tell ya!   Guess what?  During that time I did not miss one workout. This is also huge! This is usually, in the past, where I give up and fall back into old habits.  The bed seems better that the pool,  the recliner feel  a lot better that the asphalt, but not this time.  I got up early when needed or stayed up late to get a workout in, and I feel awesome for it!  The accountability here and people started to notice the hard work while out and about, especially friends who have not seem me in a while really help me to push through.  

I have had several ask me lately, "What are you doing exactly?" Well it has been nothing fancy folks.  I have been tracking calories in and calories out with Runkeeper and Myfitnesspal apps on my phone.  I use Runkeeper for my calories out because they seem more realistic estimates.  Runkeeper's calorie counts are about half to 2/3 of what Myfitnesspal allows.  When adding calories to off set exercise I still try to only replace half of the Runkeeper calories as well.  Myfitnesspal is awesome on the food logging however.  It has a huge, huge I tell ya, food bank, easy to use recipe and meal features and even has a barcode scanner that will upload a food's info without a search.  I am also able to link the to apps together and my Runkeeper info filters right into Myfitnesspal.  I love it!

Looking for the Apps here's what there logos look like!



I am also walking (not calling it running until I break 14 min. miles), biking and swimming as you can see below.  I have gone 160 miles in the last 7 weeks and lost 13.5 # during that span.  I try to workout twice a day 3 or 4 days within the work week.  I will swim in the morning, then bike in the evening.  Then the next day I will walk in the morning then bike in the evening.  Followed by a Swim/Walk day.  Then on the weekends I try to do at least one day of longer sustained work.  Yesterday I swam 800 meters , biked 6 miles and walked 2 miles back to back to back.  Some days I have a distance goal and don't worry about time.  Other days I will have a time goal.  So days I go shorter time and really up the intensity.  I also try to vary the location and or routes as much as possible.  The variety has really helped with motivation as well.   As school starts I will probably start adding in some weight work as well two days a week.  Power is important for an Ironman.

So there it is in a nutshell!  

and here's my week:



1 comment: