Wednesday, July 10, 2013

So It Begins!!!!

My younger daughter is an active being.  She has to be moving.  She rarely sits through a whole movie and does not like reading.  Why, not because she doesn't like the stories, not because she struggles; she is an excellent reader.  It's because it would require her to sit still for an extended period of time, and by extended I mean 10 minutes.  On any given day she does no less than 100 cartwheels, shoots baskets, jump on the trampoline, rides her bike, shoots some more baskets, practices pitching and runs around the block. If she is not moving, she is really, really tired or sick, and sick usually doesn't slow her down much.

Last year in an attempt to get the older daughter off the couch we signed both girls up for a program at our local YMCA.  The program is called Girls Rock and Run.  The program runs for 12 weeks, two nights a week.  In the beginning the coaches talk with the girls about empowering themselves, positive self image and other life skills with small physical activities.  As the program progresses the coaches start moving the girls into a walk/run program similar to Couch to 5K which culminates in the group participating in the Run the Streets (Another great Y program) 5K in the fall.  Registration, a program run shirt and a new pair of very nice running shoes are covered in the cost of the program.

Both girls completed the program last year, and the older daughter can now claim to be a 5K finisher, but the younger daughter has been bitten by the running bug.  She loooovvveees GR&R.  On the way to this week's session she even told me she wants to run a marathon, and I have no doubts that she will.  As a matter of fact I see her, more than likely, embracing triathlon as well.  This kid love to swim and bike as well.  I'm sure she will be a future workout partner for me.  Knowing this motivates me to quickly get to the point where I can keep up with her or at least not slow her down too much.

I highly recommend Girls Rock and Run.  It is a great program for empowering young girls to become strong, fit, confident young ladies.  I know mine have.


Younger Daughter crossing the finish line of her 1st 5k



5 comments:

  1. I love this! I cannot wait for my little guy to do his first race -- I know he'll love it. I want him to start young and not do his first exercising as a full grown adult like his mother... Proud of you, Brian. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, it means a lot to me!!! I am so thankful for Bri being active. She ask today what exactly is a triathlon and when I told her she made me coach her in swimming the whole open swim time and is planning on asking for a new bike for her birthday. "Because athlete won't ride princess bikes!"

      Delete
  2. My son is as active as your youngest. He's four. We think he'd love running. Maybe he is the key to getting me into the sport as well. Thanks for the idea and so proud of your girls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. You should start running. I am starting to feel so strong and it's really only been six weeks since I started.

      Delete
  3. This is such a great post. I'm pretty sure our daughters get their athleticism from me, says the woman typing this from the recliner. I could be a runner if someone were behind me chasing me with a knife or a snake. I'm proud of you, and I'm proud of me. And I love commenting on your blog. I just can't believe that you are becoming a blogger. You know how much I love blogging. Are you doing this to turn me on? Because...it's working.

    ReplyDelete