Sunday, September 29, 2013

New Mantra - Weekly Check In Sept. 28 - Before and After



Five Months of Progress 


Every step toward a goal requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; along with the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.
                                                                                                                                  Martin Luther King, Jr. 


Good Day all.  It was another great week for the Future Former Fat Man on my path to become an Ironman.  I lost another 2.5 pounds (now down 70+ pounds) and set new personal best for Swimming Distance in a week and a month and swimming pace in a week.  I even had a teen in the lane next to me tell me I was fast.  I told him he was just slow (just kidding - but I thought it.) I also picked up the Couch to 5k where I left off (because it was hurting my knees) at week three and the workout was easy.  Aerobically I feel I could have gone a lot longer.  I will continue the C25K doing two days a week on the Elliptical and one day on the road until the Tulsa Run at the end of October.  I also had my best Wednesday night bike ride. I improved my pace on the bike this week by a lot!

The quote above reminds me of the quote, "You have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable." which has been my mantra as I push myself each day a little harder or a little further.  This quote will become a fresh mantra;  "tireless exertion and passionate concern", "sacrifice and struggle" it is a part of this process. I really needed that reminder this week.  I will work for the next four weeks on sacrificing some of my food wants to hopefully come closer to my race weight goal, because I just saw the elevation change in the last mile of the race.  The last part of the race is all uphill, not steep but uphill none the less. So let the struggle begin!

 

6 comments:

  1. Go Brian! Cheering you on from Boulder, CO:) (Connected with Heather through Listen To Your Mother).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam! FYI I was a Mother in NW Arkansas this year's cast!

      Delete
  2. This is awesome. My husband lost 110 lbs a few years back the old fashion way- diet and exercise. Even better... he's kept it off! When you work hard to get something, you really appreciate it. You're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lori! Tell your husband he's awesome!!!!

      Delete
  3. Way to go, Brian! I admire your dedication.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann. Your words push me forward!!

      Delete