Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Being Outstanding

My new friend Sarah Martin Hood, of Listen To Your Mother NW Arkansas fame, (check out her blog, Musings of Motherhood) posted a meme that said:






This quote is applicable in so many ways to my journey.  As this quote came from a running mom blog, I am assuming it is referring to the physical uncomfortableness you must achieve to improve.  You push yourself to that point and you get better for it.  I am finding this true so far in my physical journey: stairs are easier, my body is recovering quicker from workouts and I just have a better outlook on life.

What I was not expecting was how I would have to get comfortable with being uncomfortable (or making others uncomfortable) in other aspects of my life.  Things like setting in an eating establishment with a glass of water while others eat when I refuse to eat after said establishment would not make modifications to their menu.  It really bothered the waiter.  He brought me a menu and would not take it back.  I ate what I needed when I got home.  I had to get comfortable with the waiter being uncomfortable.  I have to get comfortable with driving by my favorite fast food haunts (I love you Taco Casa, it's nothing personal) or ordering only one of one or two of the items I usually get instead of two of the four I am use to eating.   Not making others uncomfortable there, but that probably falls more under my last post about doing what I want most.

The uncomfortable state I am having the hardest time overcoming is the loved ones who use their cooking as their expression of love.  I know can no longer eat 2000 calories for breakfast, or the over-sized brownies and half dozen cookies and pieces of cake the size of your head or steak and ribs and chicken at one cookout but the uncomfortable feeling I get when there is a comment about the leftovers or a slight look of disappointment when the offered dish is refused, well, I will just have to get comfortable with that, because that can be the only way.  Why, because I am on my way to being OUTSTANDING.

PS:  Sarah is a running, triathlete and blogs regularly on these topics as well as motherhood!

Sarah:  Thanks for the motivation today.  I really needed it!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Brian,

    That is by far the hardest thing for me so far as well. As far as family, they come around eventually. My grandma made me a carrot cake because you know, it is healthier than her chocolate cake because carrots are vegetables. :-)

    ReplyDelete