Monday, June 10, 2013

The Power of Desire

The gym where I just canceled my membership for several reasons that I will not get into online does have a pretty cool Facebook page where they post various inspirational messages and quotes.  This weekend they had a quote that has come to be a mantra I use to focus.

Don't give up what you want most, 
for what you want now!


So what do I want most?  I want to live long enough to see my beautiful girls have families and careers of their own, I want to see my wife with gray hair (did you just hear everyone of her MVM fans laugh in unison), I want to ride a roller coaster with my dare devil daughter, I want to ride a horse with my not so dare devil daughter, I want to have the sense of accomplishment of starting what I finish.  I want to LOVE life and embrace the challenges it throws at me everyday.

This new mantra kept me in check this weekend at the family reunion.  Did I skip the burgers? No! but I only had one. Not my typical two burgers plus all the extras:  beans, chips, brownies, bags o' cookies.  Did I skip the deserts? No! but I only had three bites of the Pineapple crumble.  Did I maintain this will power through my wife's get together with her New LTYM (Listen To Your Mother) family get-together? No, but they brought peach pie and that was just not fair, but no panic, today was right back on the health wagon and focusing and the items in the paragraph above.   The power of that desire and you, people of the world wide web, will hold my heart accountable.

I know I have put a metaphorical elephant on my plate with my goal of an Ironman, but everyone knows how to eat an elephant, right.  One bite at a time.  My first bite is to continue walking/swimming till I am in the 3's (Hundreds that is) then begin the couch to 5K for the Tulsa run or the Jingle Bells for Basal Cells 5K! Because THAT is what I want most in the short term!!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you, Brian! I have always said moderation is the key. I know if I don't indulge a little, then I binge a lot. And the important thing is you're back on the wagon. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what? I'm so proud of you. I will start too. I will start training and I will do one(or both) of those 5Ks too! This is good.

    You are so so right. We love this life. We should do whatever we can to stick around and live it. Sunday was a total fail for me. The last few years of grad school have been a total fail for me. But it's time.

    ReplyDelete