Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Respect - Honesty - Caring - Responsibility

Normally when I swim at my local YMCA I use the little round doohickies on the lane markers to count laps.  Yep, I'm a counter.  Truth be known I could very easily have been OCD in that way.  I have strong tendencies, but I digress. However, this swim was on a Sunday when there is no lap swim, but an extra long open swim time.  So I took the girls and told them I was going to swim laps across the pool for the first 30 minutes and then they could waller (southern term for hang all over) me as much as they wanted the hour after that.  So, how was I going to keep track of my laps.  This caused me a little stress.    See, OCD tendencies.  Then I notice this painted on the wall in big block letters. 

RESPECT
HONESTY
CARING
RESPONSIBILITY

I'm sure these have been there all along. I just didn't notice before.  I began swimming and decided to swim a lap for each letter.  As I swam I also contemplated the serendipity of me discovering this mural and how these words sum up my journey on which I am embarking. 

Respect!  This term will be to cornerstone of my journey.  I have a new respect for life.  We have to live each of our days on this Earth to the fullest.  We have to love like each day could be our last.  Being healthy is just being respectful to your loved ones, because with better health we will have a better chance to have more days to fill with love.  

Honesty! This is a term I probably considered the most.  In the past I have not been honest with myself.  I told myself I was happy.  The weight was not keeping me from living the life I wanted.  Really Brian?  I told myself I was exercising more than I really was.  I told myself I was eating better than I really was.  In this journey I will have to be honest with myself, be my toughest judge.  This journal with all eyes on it will help in that respect.  If I am not honest with myself and you the data will show it, and that is where you come in.  HOLD ME ACCOUNTABLE!!!!

Caring! This term is self explanatory!  I now care about my health.  Enough is enough.  Getting healthy will allow me to care for my wife and girls and future Grandbabies, and my wife's mom and my mom and dad if the time comes.  

Responsibility!  This journey has heightened my sense of responsibility.  I now feel responsible not only to motivate my own family, but all who come in contact with my journey.  I want to be successful not only for myself, but for all. Hoping that when I meet my goals someone else will take the bull by the horns in their own life with whatever they want to accomplish.  

On Sunday I did it.  I swam one lap for each letter and brought more focus to my coming week on this journey.


2 comments: